Saturday, June 22, 2013

How to make a headboard

We had one simple twin headboard and turned it into the perfect girl look adding a full size headboard to match.

We used simple 2 X 4's and a table saw to cut 1/4 inch into the wood at about 1 inch wide.

This allowed the 1/4 inch plywood to fit into the 2 X 4's without bumping out

Since I was going to paint the wood, I used ordinary drywall mud to fill in knots and gaps.

Of course it took plenty of sanding before and after applying the filler. I used wood screws from behind to hold it together as well as metal strips where the 2 X 4's came together. We used a short nail in a finish nail gun to add the middle strip of wood and beveled wood. Elmer's wood glue was used in a small amount at all joints..

I added a beveled piece of wood along the top edge for something to decorate and add style to the beds.

This also tied the two sizes together. The original twin head board had a 1/4 inch deep line where the wood came together. Using the table saw, I cut the same design in the new head board.


After priming, painting white, and varnishing, I added color to the beveled pieces of wood. I used 5 acrylic colors from Walmart that matched the quilt.

The last step was glazing. This is my favorite look because it brings out the style and character in the furniture. However, the girls thought that I hadn't done a good job painting and the dark brown was showing through. I guess it's all a mater of taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment