Saturday, June 22, 2013

Adjusting finished quilts to fit a smaller bed

   My granddaughters wanted new bedspreads for their Birthday and Christmas gifts this year. Basically, they wanted an overhaul on their room.
 I found a queen size quilt at TJ Max which had the perfect colors, style, and price. However, there was only one and it was a little too big for the full size bed.
We called around the state and finally found another queen size and some pillows and shames. The trick is to carefully unpick the binding from the edge, re-cut the side and then stitch the binding back on. I rounded the corners at the bottom so that they didn't hit the floor.


With the quilting material that I cut off, I added some pieces to the window curtain. Since the quilt was quilted tight, I didn't need to finish the edges. I just cut 1 inch strips and gathered them with my Bernina gathering foot and sewed three rows onto the bottom of the sheers. 


I used another piece of quilt for a valance above the window. In both cases, I used the back of the quilt since it had a smaller design and looked better than the top side.

No comments:

Post a Comment