Monday, June 13, 2022

How to get a distressed paint look

 I want to remember how to get a distressed paint look.

Start and the bottom of the blog and work your way up.




I use a water base varnish to seal the paint. Usually, one coat will be sufficient, but occasionally, I recoat where needed.


Lastly, I lightly sand where I want the paint to come off. Think of it as a piece of art that you want evenly distressed. The wax will allow paint to come off easily without heavy sanding.


I have the best luck painting two sides at a time, allowing the paint to dry and then painting the other two sides.



Paint the furniture with multiple coats until you get a fairly well covered piece.

The darker the original wood the better.


The chair below has only been lightly sanded.


Use a chunk of paraffin wax and rub lines all over the piece of furniture going in the direction of the grain.

You want the paint to stick so you might want to lightly sand and/or use a deglosser.

I like to start with a dark piece of furniture.
This is a regular boring wood table that I painted yellow allowing the brown to show through.



No comments:

Post a Comment